If you’re anything like us, there’s a good chance you’re reading this on your couch while watching the most recent season of Schitt’s Creek or rewatching The Office for the 295th time. And, there may or may not be a glass of wine or other beverage of choice on your side table…we can’t confirm or deny. But more than anything, you’re probably feeling a ton of mixed emotions: fear, anger, loneliness, sadness, and even surprise. You’re not alone.
The coronavirus has forced many people into situations that they’re not used to being in. And for a lot of individuals that means changing plans that you might have had set in place for months or longer, such as buying an engagement ring, proposing, or getting to celebrate after your significant other said yes.
So let’s chat about all of the above and hopefully help you walk away from this feeling a bit more at peace with the situation at hand.
If You Were Planning to Buy a Ring
We can probably break this group of people down even further depending on where you were at in your shopping journey.
- If you were just starting your research, looking into your options, and trying to figure out exactly what the heck the 4 C’s stand for, then you’re actually in luck. Now is the perfect time to do all of the research you need leading up to buying the actual ring. Here are some awesome resources for you to take advantage of:
- There’s a good chance that you had it all planned out to buy your ring at your local jeweler right as stores started to close down. If that’s the case, you can absolutely still make your purchase. Do some research into buying your ring online. Make sure you look at value props such as returns, shipping, and resizing. If you already had a specific ring in mind, talk with a diamond/jewelry expert to find a great match.
- If you’re worried at all about finances, there are also still a ton of options for your purchase. First off you can look into financing programs. At Clean Origin, we partnered with Affirm to offer 12, 18, or 24-month financing. This is a great way to break up your payment into smaller, more easily digestible bites. You can also opt for a lab-grown diamond to help save up to 40% on a comparable stone. Finally, you can build your ring and send it to yourself to purchase in a few weeks when you’re more comfortable.
If You Were Planning to Propose
So you have the ring hidden in your sock drawer but now you’re quarantined in your house and have no idea how to pop the big question in your one-bedroom apartment. Are we hitting a nerve? Let’s break this down too.
- If you had an extravagant proposal planned out, maybe even worked with a planner, have already spent money and your plans are now changing, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to get refunded. This is a world-wide crisis and many companies are being extremely understanding of the situation. At the least, hopefully, you’d be able to simply postpone. This is extremely frustrating but it will give you ample time to prepare what you’re going to say when you get down on one knee.
- On the other hand, if you had something more low-key or intimate planned, there’s no reason why you can’t still do it! Making a proposal great sometimes just comes down to making it personal. Support local businesses by picking up dinner, ordering your favorite bottle of wine online, and seeing if there’s a safe place to buy flowers and chocolates to set up in the comfort of your own home. It might not be what you planned, but hey, it will make for an interesting proposal story one day.
- If you can hold off until things return to normal, this could be the perfect opportunity to plan your proposal! Have everything in mined, purchased, or ready to buy when the time is right. If you’re separated from family during this time, what better way to reunite than with a proposal and celebratory party after.
We understand that this time seems so crazy and quite frankly unbelievable. But we’re all in it together. The Clean Origin family is here to help with any and all of your engagement ring questions, whether you’re doing your research, picking a ring, or need to chat with an expert. Never hesitate to reach out. Stay healthy and safe and remember that you have the love of your life through all of this.